Friday, May 29, 2009

Finalized list

I think I've put together a finalized list of potential med schools:

Albany Medical College
George Washington University
Michigan State University
Oregon Health and Science University
University of Tennessee
University of Washington

They all seem to have what I'm looking for: small med school (preferably amidst a larger institution), a balance between clinical and research medicine (with an obvious focus on the clinical side of things), and a broad potential for future opportunities. I'm pretty excited. I was going to apply to Indiana University, but as it turns out that is the biggest med school in the country. I think I'll go ahead and avoid it. I am surprisingly excited about Albany...probably because it's so close to the Adirondacks. I think if I went to Washington I would just stare at Mt. Rainier all day. Are mountains any reason to pick a med school? Sounds pretty irresponsible to me...luckily I can back the schools up with real reasons, too.

On another note, for about 3 months now I have been calling myself a temporal thinker. To be honest I really didn't know what it meant, it just sounded right. I did a little poking on wikipedia and it turns out I actually am a temporal thinker. To quote wikipedia, "In logic, the term temporal logic is used to describe any system of rules and symbolism for representing, and reasoning about, propositions qualified in terms of time.... Consider the statement: "I am hungry." Though its meaning is constant in time, the truth value of the statement can vary in time. Sometimes the statement is true, and sometimes the statement is false, but the statement is never true and false simultaneously. In a temporal logic, statements can have a truth value which can vary in time. Contrast this with an atemporal logic, which can only discuss statements whose truth value is constant in time."

That is me through and through. I've been trying to work out the difference between relative and absolute truth for a while now, but I guess the "I am hungry" idea does it for me...it's all varying degrees.

I bet none of you really care, but I think it's cool.

2 comments:

  1. Would temporal thinking be called, in some instances, "black or white thinking?" Kind of like, yes or no? Or is it thinking that describes a state of mind moresso than a fact of the matter? like your list of schools! good times, good times. momma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah...theses are interesting thoughts. Sometimes I am very temporal, very right brain and nothing but logic. Other times, I just want to have fun and not think at all. The laughs are worth it. Non Sequiters are also a good part of life. Went to a really neat barbecue Saturday night way out on a farm in southern Kanas. Lots of kids, bicycles, fishing, smoked meat, noodles, fruit and cake. Very relaxing and big time family time.

    ReplyDelete