Monday, June 1, 2009

Russian Lit Kick

Donald Miller says that every serious writer has a few years where they fall in love with Emily Dickinson. I've never been one for poetry, though. I have, however, fallen in love with 19th Century Russian culture. It seems like a pretty obscure time to fall in love with, but the culture just blows me away (well, the culture as described by the literature). I finished "Anna Karenina" last week, blew through 2 adventure books, and just started "The Idiot" yesterday. I'm already about 1/4 through it. It's just so dang good.

I had always thought this Russian stuff was just a phase, but I'm wondering if I'm just going to keep reading these books. The funny thing is that the more you read them the better they get (Mom, you should read "The Brothers Karamazov" if you haven't yet. "Dead Souls" is a pretty obscure and abstract book to start with.).

I figured out my next ploy to make enough money to survive: disaster response. FEMA has a contract with AMR, and whenever a big hurricane is about to hit every AMR branch sends a bunch of EMTs and Paramedics to the disaster site. Last year we sent like 12 poeple down to Texas for 3 weeks. The cool part about going down there is that you get paid 24 hours a day. I hear it's a great time, too.

2 comments:

  1. I am reading a light book, "Water for Elephants" almost done and then will get the "brothers" book. I have just completed a course by FEMA for emergency response at our school. I really like this. I wish I was 20 year younger. There are so many things I want to do and study. I guess I will just keep at it! Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started the Brother's K. You inspired me to get moving on that one. Thanks. Also reading Heaven is Real by Don Piper. He died and came back and really feels he experienced heaven. He was declared dead by 8 EMT's.

    ReplyDelete