Sunday, June 21, 2009

The next big thing.

Plans are set for the next workout. We're going to do an "out and back" of the Musketawa Trail, which links Muskegon and Marne. We're gonna bike 25 miles out and walk 25 miles back. I think I'm gonna do some other stuff to make it a 24 hour event...maybe some swimming, just for giggles. My wrist is still bothering me from last time, so hopefully that clears up.

We've also made some plans for climbs. Mt. Katahdin in November, Mt. Elbert in March, and Mt. Elbrus sometime at the beginning of 2010. Elbrus is the big one as far as cost and training goes, but I've got a year and half to get ready for it. If all goes to plan (which it certainly won't), I maybe be standing on the top of Europe sometime soon. Sounds good to me. I still think it's goofy that I spend so much of my time with guys in their 40's.

I had a real cool day yesterday. A new friend and I went to the zoo in GR (my first time there), did some culinary exploration on the east side of the city, then went to a production of "Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat" (or whatever it's called). It was a great day, one of those days that feels like a 15 hour vacation. I wish you could consistently plan stuff like that.

I'm reading a bood about a guy who walked the Appalacian Trail (real funny book by Bill Bryson), and I gotta say that it's turning me off from the trail. It's hard to put my finger on why, but I"m just not feeling it as much anymore. Maybe I'll change my mind after my big July hike with Derek. It's strange how it's so hard to decide on adventures when I have absolutely no parameters or limiting factors. I can do anything and I can't think of anything. Maybe I should just walk to Mexico or Alaska or something like that. Who knows what I'll do.

3 comments:

  1. Wow John... that is a lot of adventure. Sounds like fun but it would exhaust me. It is fun, you have the time and the money, go after it. It is your "exploring years". No pun intended.

    ReplyDelete
  2. maybe appalachian trail seems boring now. the mountains sound cool. it is fun to push yourself as long as you don't sustain an injury. injuries are bummers!

    ReplyDelete