Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I like those letters

I had a mock interview on Monday with the pre-med adviser at Grand Valley. It was kind of goofy because this lady used to work at the University of Illinois, and I think she forgot that she doesn't work there anymore. While she may be a GVSU adviser by name, she is clearly an Illinois recruiter by profession. It was weird. She did throw an interesting idea my way, however.

Throughout the interview we talked a lot about my history in archaeology and biological anthropology. She made the observation that it seems that I am still very interested in that stuff, which I am. I just find it impractical to go for an academic career (50% of humanities PhDs actually use their degree...that's not worth 8 years of grad work). Apparently, though, the University of Illinois offers MD/PhD programs that bridge departments. That is, I could get a traditional MD and a PhD in biological anthropology (probably in something like human/neaderthal interactions or something like that, osteology, or something like that). The big difficulty I see with this is convincing the admissions committee that these two degrees are compatible in some way...because I'm not sure they are (I just love both subjects). The upside is that I would come out of school debt free. Time-wise it would take me FOREVER. As it stands, if I matriculated at Wayne State this fall I will get my first real paycheck no earlier than 2017 (that is, as a full-blown doctor). A PhD would tack on at least 4 more years (probably more). That really doesn't deter me now, but when I'm 35 and still a college student I might reconsider, especially when I don't like college students or college campuses as it stands (although I LOVE school).

I sent an email to my old anthropology professor in Boston asking his opinion. As far as I can tell, getting a PhD because it sounds cool is just stupid. Getting a PhD in order to get free med school is ignorant. Getting a PhD because I'm interested in anthropology is approaching a decent decision. I guess I just need to get more educated on the matter.

April 22 I hear about Wayne State. That is still a wonderful option.

We'll see what happens. Decision time is a long way away.

Dr. John T. McClain MD/PhD, FACP, EMT-S, FF I/II

I like all of those letters after my name. I have half now. Maybe I can get more.

No comments:

Post a Comment