Sunday, April 5, 2009

Rewind 5 years

Five years ago at this time I bought a book. This book shot me into the world of biological anthropology. Over the next 2 years I gained a significant interest in early human/Neandertal evolution. My goal was to head off to grad school at Washington University in St. Louis and study under Erik Trinkaus. I had begun correspondence with the anthropology department at Wash U, and I was about to email Trinkaus when I returned to Michigan and refocused everything into the medical world. Prof. Trinkaus is the world's leading expert on Neandertals and early humans throughout Europe and the Middle East.

When I heard about the MD/PhD stuff my first reaction was to email my old bio anthro professor at BU (Rich Lawler), just to get his opinion on the matter. He invested a lot in me at BU, and I know the prospect of me re-entering anthropology again would get him excited. I haven't gotten a response back from him, but it's a busy time of year for academic types so it'll take a while. Today I had the crazy idea to email Trinkaus. He looks like a nice enough guy in his pictures, so I thought I'd just make a crazy move. I basically asked if there was room in his field for experts in clinical medicine. It kind of feels like emailing Paul Simon.

Last night I worked the New Kids on the Block concert. It was pretty funny. They sang a bunch of their old songs. Totally worth getting paid $9 an hour to watch. We only had one patient -- she was quite the puker, too... hardcore convulsions and everything. Take note kids, don't drink 3 long islands plus a shot in an hour in a half when you barely drink at all.

At the concert I realized my absolute biggest fear, though -- ignorant mediocrity. I work with few EMTs who simply aren't any good at what they do. They love their job and basically center their lives around EMS work, but they suck at it. The worst part is that they have no idea...not because nobody will tell them, but that they refuse critical introspection. I tend to think "why center your life around something that you are bad at." But what if you don't know you're bad at it? It is my hope that I will be able to recognize areas that I'm bad at -- no matter what I'm doing. The idea of mediocrity terrifies me, though...especially if I'm ignorant of it.

1 comment:

  1. I remember listening to New Kids on the Block in the van on our way to Indiana, to Beth's graduation ( I think ). Didn't you throw up in the car? Grape juice? or was it the New Kids? It was the only tape we had in the car!!!!!

    ReplyDelete