Monday, April 13, 2009

I was thinking about the stabbing from last night, and how the EMS world is a funny funny place to work in.

You always hear that death is an everyday thing, but I guess I never realized it until I saw people die everyday. I mean, I've only seen 2 people die, but both times felt very normal. If you try to stop a car with the back of your head it just makes sense that you will die. If you get stabbed where this guy got stabbed, it just makes sense that you will die. I don't see any reason to get emotional about it. So while I got some equipment ready and joked with some firefighters and cops, this dead guy's girlfriend was sitting on the steps of their condo about 30 feet away. It was absolutely crazy how 2 worlds can exist so close to each other. In one world are the harbingers of life and death, in the other are the people who were having a totally normal day before we showed up. Normal as far as watching Comedy Central, or eating some evening ice cream, or taking a walk through the neighborhood. It always blows my mind at how fast life goes from normal to catastrophic. I guess the moral of this story is don't get stabbed.

http://www.wzzm13.com/news/local/story.aspx?storyid=107940&catid

1 comment:

  1. We lose the fragility of life easily. When suddenly someone is gone even someone you don't know, it is a surprise. In a foolish way, we think we will live eternally or that death is a long way off. We never know the time or place when it will happen to us. Seize and treasure the day and the moment.

    ReplyDelete